Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Don't Pull Punches

I was challenged by a statement today that hit close to home.  "Never feel bad for asking people to make the same sacrifices that you were asked to make."  This is a struggle for me.  I always seem to feel bad for asking people to make sacrifices.  But when I do that I pull a punch with those people and they miss out.  What I forget is that the sacrifice I was asked to make completely changed my life and by not asking others to do the same causes them to potentially miss out on those earth shattering moments.  My life came alive when I did something absolutely crazy and decided to join Jesus on his mission.  But when I'm faced to ask someone else to do the same thing I often pull a punch and just ask people to give what's convenient, comfortable or responsible.  How many people have missed out because I didn't ask them to do something that could turn their world upside down but also might change them forever.  As leaders we first need to remember that someone looked us in the eye and asked us to do some pretty big things and we thank them for doing so.  We then need to turn and look at those around us and call them to this mission and ask them to make the sacrifices that will change them for eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment